Thursday, September 28, 2017

Copyrighted Work-- To Use or Not To Use?


By Unknown  [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


I remember when I was in middle school looking up lyric videos to popular songs and hearing the song be distorted. I always wondered why. It was not until way later that I realized it was because the songs were copyrighted, but if the person who posted the photo distorted the song, it would not be considered illegal. After viewing this Prezi, I learned a lot. The Prezi states, "Here are the rules: If you use your imagination to create it from scratch and put it out there (recorded, on the computer, or on paper) then of course you are allowed to do any of the following with it: copy, distribute, perform or display, or change into something new". I also learned about a little thing called fair use. Fair use "helps keep our society's creations in circulation". There was a lot of things about copyright and copyright infringement that I never realized until I looked at the Prezi. I find it very interesting that someone can get sued for using a song in their video that's not yours.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting how you brought up the ways people would distort songs in order to post them on sites like YouTube or Vimeo. This was also common with movies or TV shows where they would flip the screen so it was technically an edit to the original show. I think it's worth mentioning here the ways creators (or people trying to illegally share content) would go to great lengths to bend the copyright rules. We know copyright is full of technicalities and if they're avoided in the right ways, such as altering content, it might not fall under copyright rules. I think you brought up a good point about the ways people tried to get around the law to continue posting content and keeping creativity circulating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too share similar memories of looking up lyrics to songs and wondering why they were sped up or distorted. Today it seems more easy to get away with posting songs on youtube without changing them in anyway. It just goes to show how difficult it is to enforce the copyright rules, and at some point, I feel that it will be nearly impossible. Great post.

    ReplyDelete